So, I decided to bite the bullet and just write all of the code to convert graphics data into XML, and made a bit of headway into writing the code to convert it back. Some of it is pretty straightforward, just storing a name and a few parameters, others quite complex, with a number of different parameters of variable length that interact with each other in detailed ways. I tried to make it so the XML that gets output focuses on readability and editability, so that I can actually write all of these commands directly if I want to rather than making some kind of special editor.
I’ll finish this up and test it out tomorrow. I don’t know yet if this is a super useful way to spend my time, but it’s a fun little thing to focus on and could potentially be quite handy, so I feel okay about it.